Thursday, April 11, 2013

Vegetable stock concentrate

The very first thing I made with my Thermomix - vegetable stock concentrate:

The colour comes from the beetroot














I know, pretty ugly huh? There was only half a beetroot in there too... usually my stock comes out green.

To be honest, I don't even remember what I threw in there, one thing i know for sure is that its a concentrated bowl of veggies with sea salt as preservative. It'll last 6 months in the fridge (although mine is usually all used up before then), use sparingly in soups, stews, risottos, sauces etc.

Here are some of the things I remember throwing in this batch, you can use whatever you have in your garden or fridge at the time. I like to throw in all my overripe or sorry looking veggies in and save all the outer layer of my veggies for this too so that I’m reducing waste. 

Here's one that is recommended in the Thermomix EDC:

Ingredients
  • 200g Celery, roughly cut
  • 2 Carrots, roughly cut
  • 1 onion, peeled and halved 
  • 1 Tomato, halved
  • 1 Zucchini, roughly cut
  • 1 clove Garlic
  • 1 Bay Keaf
  • Few leaves: Basil, Sage, Rosemary
  • 1 bunch Parsley
  • 150g Rock salt
  • 1 tbsp Oil
Method
  1. Place all vegetables into TM bowl and chop for 10 seconds/speed 6
  2. Add salt and oil, then cook for 20 minutes/Varoma/speed 1
  3. Mix by slowly turning the speed up to speed 6 then pulverising for 1 min/speed 9
  4. Store in jar in refridgerator. 
The salt used in this recipe is designed to preserve it. If you reduce the salt, the shelf life will be reduced accordingly. It is designed to be salty as it is a concentrate. 1 tablespoon is equivalent to 1 stock cube.

No comments:

Post a Comment