Friday, April 12, 2013

Tofu Cheesecake

I once made this for a vegan friends birthday years ago. It was so delicious and simple that I made it often. Although when I make it myself, I tend to opt for a non-vegan version as I like the consistency with the egg and the pie crust :p I've put down both versions below, so you can make it to suit your audience

Ingredients
  • 1 container Tofutti brand cream cheese alternative
  • 340g or one package silken tofu
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 1/3 cup corn starch
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 tsp egg replacer* 
  • 2 tbsp water*
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil 
  • Pie crust (the one I make isn't vegan, I use butter and Arnotts biscuits :p you can make one that's vegan friendly)
*If you don't have egg replacer and don't mind a non-vegan recipe, you can use 2 eggs and omit the egg replacer and water. Or you could use chia gel to replace egg

Method

  1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees.
  2. Mix the egg replacer with the water (or if using egg, mix well) in a small bowl until smooth and add to blender. Blend together all ingredients, except for oil and crust at medium speed until smooth. Mixture should be thick and creamy. Slowly incorporate oil by pouring in at low speed.
  3. Pour into pie crust and bake 45-50 minutes or until just barely firm. The cheesecake will not change color or rise up, but don't be afraid to take it out of the oven! Allowing it to cool and refrigerating or freezing slightly before serving will firm it up to the proper texture. I normally eat it warm because I can't wait :p


No comments:

Post a Comment