Saturday, April 5, 2014

Braised Shiitake Mushrooms with greens


Traditionally a Chinese New Years/festive season dish, but also one of my favourites. As it doesn't take too long to make this simpler version, its one I enjoy making often :). I hope you like it too:

Ingredients
8-12 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 piece of rock sugar (thumb sized)
Few drops of sesame oil
Lettuce and/or Broccoli 
Grated (thumb sized) ginger

Seasoning mix 
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp corn/potato starch 
2 tbsp veg oyster sauce
2 tbsp water

Method
1. Rinse and clean the mushrooms and then soak it in a bowl until soft. I normally prepare this a few hours beforehand. 
2. In a pot, add the rehydrated mushrooms along with the soaking water, grated ginger, few drops of water and rock sugar. Cook on medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat and let it simmer until the water is almost gone
3. Mix the seasoning sauce ingredients and add it to the pot. Combine well and let it come to a boil. Season to your taste. 
4. I like to serve this on top of blanched lettuce and with blanched broccoli on the side.
5. Optional: if you like/have, you can also add other mushrooms (abalone, oyster etc) to the pot when cooking too. I also like the flavour of 髮菜 (hair vegetable? -very popular to add during New Years as it sounds like 'Fortune') when added to this dish, although I very rarely/never have this in my cupboard due to environmental reasons (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_choy)

This is a dish served with rice and other accompaniments. Enjoy :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment