Monday, January 26, 2015

Vegetarian dashi stock and konbu salad

I make and use this stock a lot. Especially when cooking Japanese or Korean soup/stew. It's easy, quick and delicious. 
I don't even follow measurements, just whack it all in depending on how much I'm making. 
These natural ingredients are also good sources for that umami taste/flavour...

Ingredients
Dried konbu sheet (cleaned)
Clean Shiitake mushroom (dry or fresh is fine)

Method
Soak in the pot beforehand if you have time. If not, just cook it straight up in the pot. 

Once it's boiled, I remove the seaweed and usually leave the mushrooms in to continue cooking in whatever I'm making (usually Korean jjigae/stew or udon noodles). 



Isaac and I love eating the kombu seaweed once we remove it. It's delicious and nutritious so why not right?
If I'm making a lot of stock, I usually use some of the seaweed to make my hubby a konbu salad which he loves. 

Just slice the cooked konbu into strips and add some vinegar, chilli, sugar, salt (or soysauce, but hubby prefers salt), minced garlic and coriander (optional). 


No comments:

Post a Comment