Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The tastiest vegetarian sausage rolls ever

These sausage rolls have always been a big hit. Everyone always asks for the recipe and no one even notices that they're vegetarian. My hubby even prefers them over meat ones :)

Recipe is so simple and versatile. It can easily be doubled/tripled and freezes well.

Vegetarian Sausage Rolls

Ingredients
  • 3 puff pastry sheets (more/less depending on how generous you are with the filling)
  • 3 eggs (plus 1 extra if you want to brush egg wash before popping it in the oven)
  • 1 generous heaped *spoon of BBQ sauce (see a pic of the type I use below)
  • 1 *spoon soy sauce
  • 1 *spoon milk
  • 1 shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 1/2 *cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 *cup rolled oats (or quinoa flakes)

*Note: I don't use proper measuring cups and tablespoons for this recipe. Where I say cup, I was actually using a coffee mug. Where I say spoon, I used the soup spoons that you would use in a Chinese restaurant

You can buy this from Asian/vego grocery stores. Also great for sauces, stir fries and soups ;)
Method
  • Mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl and then add the dry ingredients
  • Cut the thawed square pastry sheets into 8s. I normally just use a knife to cut 4 strips equally from top to bottom (vertically), then the whole sheet in half (horizontally) so there are 8 small strips
  • Spoon the mixture onto the bottom part of a strip and then roll them until form a sausage roll
  • Optional: brush egg wash on top of the rolls and you can even sprinkle with sesame seeds
  • Pop into preheated oven and bake until golden brown. Just you wait until you smell the aroma!!


I hope you enjoy them as much as we do :)!






No comments:

Post a Comment